What is the Program?
The program is designed to introduce boys and girls to basketball who are currently enrolled in 3rd through 6th grade and live in the Anthony Wayne School District.
This league extends from November to February, offers one practice/week, and 8 game regular season, and post season tournament. Our volunteer parent coaches use the philosophies from our high school basketball programs to develop the skills necessary to play the game of basketball throughout the season -- dribbling, shooting, rebounding, passing, screening and defense.
Focusing on the basics and applying them to a game setting is to prepare them for the organized basketball that continues into 7th grade.
- Registration Opens in Late August and closes before the Players Skills Clinic/Coaches Meeting in Late October.
- Check for open registrations here.
- Spots are filled quickly so register early! Late registrations will be added to a waiting list.
Players Clinic/Coaches Meeting
- Occurs on a Sunday in late October.
- PLAYERS: During this time, players will come in for a skills session lead by our high school coaching staff that focus on the fundamentals of the game. This is free to all those who have registered for the program. If your child cannot attend, they will still be placed on a team.
- COACHES: Coaches will be able to attend the skills sessions to learn drills to use during their season, and to evaluate all the players in the program. During the coaches meeting, we will review season schedule and rules, assign practice times, hand out equipment, and complete the player draft.
- Players are drafted onto teams during the coaches meeting and notified of their team assignment during the last week of October prior to practices starting in November.
- 3rd and 4th graders will be placed on the same teams.
- 5th and 6th graders will be placed on the same teams.
- We do not allow players to play up a grade in this league.
- Practices will begin in Early November and continue through season end in February. Each team gets one practice per week at one of our local schools -- Waterville Primary, Whitehouse Primary, Monclova Primary, or Fallen Timbers Middle School.
- There are no practices if there is no school including Holiday breaks, parents teacher conferences, and snow days.
- Games will begin the first weekend of December and end in February.
- Girls will play on Saturday mornings and Boys will play on Saturday afternoons.
- Each team will get 8 games in the regular 6 week long season, ending with 2 guaranteed games in the end of season tournament occurring in February.
Program fees include a reversible game jersey for each player, skills clinic, team practice balls, team first aid kits, certified referees, liability insurance, coaches background checks, and gym rental fees.
In addition to the costs mentioned above there are additional administrative costs and more importantly this is a primary fundraiser for the AW High School Boys and Girls Basketball programs and we utilize proceeds from admission to help support their programs. Our high school coaching staff is available throughout the season to all our volunteer coaches to help share philosophies, practice plans, and game strategy. Every weekend, you will see our high school basketball players helping with admissions, the score table, and reffing the younger groups.
Interested in Coaching?
Leave your name and email in your child's registration stating you would like to coach. You will be contacted prior to the Player Clinic/Coaches Meeting.