What is the Program?
The Girls Travel Basketball program is designed to educate and empower confident young ladies through the sport of basketball. We develop and teach all players the same basketball language, fundamentals, and strategies to build continuity and consistency within each level of the Lady Generals basketball program from 3rd grade to 12th grade. This program is designed for girls who are currently enrolled in 3rd through 6th grade and live in the Anthony Wayne School District.
This program extends from November to February, offers two practices/week, league play, and tournament play. Our coaches use the philosophies from our High School Lady Generals Basketball program to develop the skills necessary to play the game of basketball throughout the season -- dribbling, shooting, rebounding, passing, screening, and defense. Focusing on the fundamentals and strategies, and applying them to a game setting is to prepare them for the organized basketball that continues into 7th grade.
Our Season begins in late October/early November and ends in late February/early March.
- It is FREE to try-out
- Registration for try-outs opens in Late August and closes before the first try-out date in October.
- Check for open registrations here.
- Players must attend at least one of the two try-out dates to be eligible for team placement.
- Try-outs are held on the first two Sunday evenings in October (see registration for more details)
- It is AWGTB’s goal to field two 8 man teams for each grade level or 16 total players per grade. However, numbers may be adjusted up or down based on tryout numbers and overall talent.
- Players are placed onto teams after the second try-out date in October by non-biased personnel. Players will be notified within 48 hours of the second try-out date regarding their team placement and are expected to accept or reject their team placement within 24 hours of that notification.
- We do not allow players to play up a grade in this league.
- Practices will begin in Late October and continue through season end in February.
- Each team gets two practices per week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00pm-7:30pm at one of our local schools -- Waterville Primary, Whitehouse Primary, Monclova Primary, or Fallen Timbers Middle School.
- There are no practices if there is no school including Holiday breaks, parents teacher conferences, and snow days.
- DAYS: Almost all games are on Saturdays or Sundays. On rare occasions some tournaments may require teams to play Friday evenings.
- NUMBER OF GAMES: Our 3rd/4th grade team plays approximately 15 games; 5th grade plays approximately 25, and 6th grade teams play approximately 30 games.
- LOCATION: In general, all games are played in the NW Ohio region, within 1.0 - 1.5 hour’s drive of AW. Leagues are in Evergreen (4th), AW (5th), Perrysburg (6th), & PALs (6th). Tournaments are usually played in the NE Indiana, NW Ohio & SE Michigan regions.
Program fees include team uniform, practice basketball, team equipment, league fees, tournament fees, liability insurance, coaches background checks, administrative fees, and gym rental fees. All program fees are due by Mid November.
Interested in Coaching?
Leave your name and email in your child's registration stating you would like to coach. You will be contacted prior to the first date of try-outs.