What is the Program?
The program is designed to introduce boys to football who are currently enrolled in 3rd through 6th grade and live in the Anthony Wayne School District. This is a contact football league.
This league extends from August to October, offers 2-4 practices/week, and games against other Toledo Area teams. Our volunteer parent coaches develop the skills necessary to play the game of football throughout the season -- passing, catching, stance, plays, defense, etc. Focusing on the basics and applying them to a game setting is to prepare them for the organized football that continues into junior high and high school.
- Registration Opens in Early June and closes in late July
- Check for open registrations here.
- Season runs from Early August to Late October.
Conditioning Combine/Equipment Handout
- Occurs during the last week of July prior to season starting in August
- Conditioning Combine: This is an opportunity for all players registered for the program to come out and compete in different conditioning drills to kick off the season
- Equipment Handout: During this time, all football equipment will be handed out for the season.
- Players are assigned to teams after the Combine/Equipment Handout day. Parents will be notified of team placement prior to the first day of season in August
- 3rd & 4th graders and 5th & 6th graders will be placed on the same teams.
- The goal of the program is to have even teams for each grade group taking age, skill, and size into team placement consideration. Players will be evaluated during the Combine/Equipment Handout day.
- Your child will be assigned to a team even if they miss the Combine/Equipment Handout day.
- Practices will begin the first week of August and continue through season end in late October.
- Prior to school starting in August, each team will have 4 practices/week.
- After school starts, each team will have 2-3 practices/week.
- Practices occur at Blue Creek Recreation Area in Whitehouse, OH.
- Games are typically played on Sunday afternoons and start the first weekend after Labor Day and end in late October
- Game schedule consists of 6 regular season weekends with one additional championship weekend at the end.
- Games are located in surrounding areas including University of Toledo Glass Bowl, Bowling Green, Otsego, Maumee, Rossford, Oregon, Northwood, and Woodmore.
- Required equipment: cleats, mouthguard, football pants with thigh and knee pads, girdle, shoulder pads, helmet, and chin strap
- All equipment (except cleats) will be provided by AWYFL for use throughout the season and should be returned at the end of the season.
- If you are interested in buying your own equipment for the season, contact your coaches regarding equipment list and proper sizing.
- All players will be given a personalized jersey for the season that is theirs to keep as it is included in the registration fee.
Program fees include league fees, field rental/maintenance fees, personalized jersey, protective equipment, team practice balls, team first aid kits, liability insurance, administrative fees, and coaches background checks.
Interested in Coaching?
Leave your name and email in your child's registration stating you would like to coach or contact us. You will be contacted prior to the start of the season.